It's A Girl Thing: Tween Queens and the Commodification of the Girl's Tween Market

A few years of research, thoughts and adjustments that all led to a completed film which, framed by the structure of a faux interactive website for tween girls, looks closely, and critically, at the tween market's evolution and the role of Disney and Nickelodeon's tween queens (Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, Britney Spears, Hilary Duff, Miley Cryus, Miranda Cosgrove, Kiki Palmer, Selena Gomez, and more) in the market's explosion.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Seen, but Not Heard, Seen, but Not Heard...

So Im going through a serioulsy tired phase. It happens. Its a long project. You have times when you're stoked and times when you're frustrated. After a recent conversation with a fellow girl culture researcher I had to face a hard fact about an interviewee Ive been trying hard to get. She assured me, in no uncertain terms, that despite stringing me along...he just isn't going to let me interview him. She knows him, you see.

Ive also grown a bit tired of reading books and feeling there's always a bit more research to do. Of trying to work on the script, only to find that we've still got so much more to do before it can be finalized. And realizing finalized is what we need.

But yesterday, I was helping some students with FCP, and this thing happened, that happens every time I teach in my office. They inspired me. We were using some So Little Time footage to go over making subclips and they used the very first episode. It starts out talking about "Cute Food" and how some foods aren't meant to be eaten in public. This section alone has so many things I can pull from it for the collage aspects of the film. Including a clip where Ashley says, "Seen But Not Heard" - which will juxtapose nicely with the a clip from the Jonas Brothers song below.

So, for the next few weeks I think Im going to switch gears a bit. Give my academic brain a break and have some fun with the project so I can revive. Work on the collage aspects. Go through and organize clips from the sitcoms.

It seems like a good plan for my sanity and for the films energy. At least this morning that's the idea.

Everyone who's ever been in this place, or who is there now, send me good vibes. :-)

2 Comments:

At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won't only send you good vibes, I'll send a comment. You can't be jazzed about something all the time. I think you're doing the right thing in switching gears for a while. That's what I try to do. Hang in there. I can't wait to see your work!

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Magirlzent said...

Yeah.... I'm glad to hear your were inspired. Here's my vibe!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home